Thursday 18 February 2010

Minuteman Pizza

I know it's only pizza, but this is the best Pizza in Bolivia, if not the whole of South America.

Run by an American guy and his Bolivian wife, Minuteman is a welcome sight to almost every tourist that passes through the small, dusty town of Uyuni on the edge of the Bolivian desert. If you happen to be in Uyuni, I beg you not to miss out on Minuteman.

 
Inside the legendary restaurant
Image Courtesy of Matthew Shaw 


There is a huge range of pizzas available, from the classic Margherita to any number of combinations of cheeses, meats and veggies. The restaurant is laid back and friendly. Order at the kitchen window, where you are then given a playing card. I got the 8 Diamonds. Ten minutes later and the friendly American owner comes over to our long table and yells out my someone else's card. I'm distraught. I'm so hungry I can barely see any more! Finally he arrives with the 8 Diamonds and I'm greeted by a huge steaming plate of glistening mozzarella cheese, spicy chorizo sausage, beautifully sweet caramelised onion, rosemary, sweet-yet-sharp homemade tomato sauce, and that perfectly crisp base. Whoever said pizza is just pizza has never had a good pizza like this. Simply epic.


Minuteman also serve up a fantastic selection of South American wines, as well as a few local beers including Chala, a white ale brewed in Sucre. Plus, while I didn't get to experience it firsthand, I understand Minuteman also offers an excellent breakfast menu including American Pancakes or Eggs Benedict, ideal for those craving more than the complimentary hotel breakfast of mueseli and toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - even if it's just to let me know you're reading! ;)